Project Management and its Role in Effective Business
Become an effective project manager and learn how to deliver strategic change and transformation in an organisation.
DurationApprox 10 weeks
3-5 hrs per week
CertificatesEarn course CertificatesFind out more
100% onlineLearn at your own paceHow it works
Cost$39/monthFind out more
Implement effective project planning and execution to boost business performance
How can you become a better project manager, and what are the principles driving effective project management within an organisation?
This ExpertTrack has been put together to offer you the chance to cover everything you need to know about good project management.
You’ll be able to learn how to deliver strategic change and transformation through the management of projects in organisations.
You’ll also be able to develop your understanding of the stages, tools and techniques required for project initiation, planning, execution, control and closure.
What makes an effective project manager?
This ExpertTrack explores what it takes to successfully plan and execute a project while considering the wider business context in which the project operates.
You’ll consider a typical day in the life of a project manager and learn the key competencies of an agile project manager, as you explore scrum and waterfall models, project initiation, phases and extended life cycles.
Understand change management and minimise business risk
You’ll have the opportunity to learn the differences between qualitative and quantitative risk analysis (including the Probability and Impact Matrix) and how to make a risk management plan in order to control, minimise and prepare for potential project hazards.
The project management skills and techniques within this ExpertTrack can be useful across a variety of positions and industries, whether you’d like to start or improve a career in project management, or you just want to add the methodologies to another role entirely.
Median base salary£39,000
UK job openings/month7,320
Key skills you will learn
- Creating a business case
- Project phases
- Project processes
- Project prioritisation and selection
- Stakeholder management
- Managing change
- Agile management
- Knowledge management
- Project Management
- Leading a team
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of project management within organisations to deliver successful change.
- Demonstrate competence in planning a project within a given organisational context.
- Investigate the application of project management methodologies and techniques used to organise and plan project time, cost, resources and people.
- Explore how cultural, communication, leadership and teamwork affect international project management.
If you work in project management or are looking to add project management to your professional skills, this ExpertTrack will equip you with the technical and practical knowledge you need to manage and execute on projects effectively.
It’s recommended that you have up to two years of experience in the field of project management whether as a student or in your own career, as some industry understanding will be useful.
This ExpertTrack is designed for anyone interested who wants to understand the fundamentals of project management in the context of an organisation.
It will be of particular interest to professionals and individuals interested in project management – especially aspiring project managers, project managers looking to take their career to the next level, and people in other careers such as engineering looking to gain project management skills.
ExpertTrack course overview
Project Management: How to be a Successful Project Manager4.3 (10 reviews)
Develop your understanding of the project life cycle and agile project tools on this introduction to effective project management.
3 hours per week
Introduction to Projects
- Project managers
- Focus on the future
- Project lifecycle
- Project initiation
- Course wrap up
Project Planning and Communication: Mastering Gantt Charts and Stakeholder Management4.8 (9 reviews)
Improve your project planning and communicating skills and find out how to take a project to completion.
5 hours per week
Introducing the project plan
- Welcome to Project Planning and Communication: Mastering Gantt Charts and Stakeholder Management
- Creating a scope
- Creating a plan
- Assessing a plan
- Coming up next
Engaging Stakeholders to Keep the Plan on Track
- Identifying stakeholders
- Managing stakeholders
- Summary and reflection
Unlocking the Risk Matrix: Project Risk and the Change Management Process
Learn to control, minimise and prepare for potential hazards, from qualitative vs quantitative to making a risk management plan.
5 hours per week
Managing risks in projects
- Risk management
- PRAM process
- Focus on the future
Project control and closing
- Project control
- Project closing
Organisations and Project Management: P3M and Knowledge Management
Analyse the impact of the organisational environment on project deliverables and learn the skills to succeed in global projects.
5 hours per week
Projects and Organisations
- Projects, Programs, Portfolios (P3)
International Project Management
- International projects
- Culture and communication
Project Management: Agile Manifesto Principles
Learn to successfully navigate unpredictable scenarios within the context of product development using agile vs scrum methodology.
5 hours per week
Agile Project Management
- Fundamentals of agile
- Implementing agile
- Scrum overview
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
ExpertTracks are a series of online courses designed to help you master new skills in specialist areas. You pay a monthly subscription fee which includes access to all courses within the ExpertTrack, as well as assessments and the final digital certificate.
Each ExpertTrack comes with a 7-day free trial period. You may cancel your subscription at any time and your subscription will automatically cancel when you finish the courses and assessments in your chosen ExpertTrack.
Yes. All of our ExpertTracks come with a 7-day free trial. You may claim one free trial period per ExpertTrack.
You have seven days before you will be charged your first monthly subscription fee. When you join an ExpertTrack you automatically receive a 7-day free trial period. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and no payment will be taken from your account.
Please see our full refund policy here.
No, all of our ExpertTracks consist of fully online courses. This means you can take an ExpertTrack from anywhere in the world.
No. ExpertTracks are designed for you to master new skills in a specialist area. You will earn a digital certificate that proves your learning, but it does not carry accreditation.
If you’re looking for certified or accredited courses, many of our microcredentials offer university credit or professional certification.
Have more questions about ExpertTracks? Read the ExpertTracks FAQs, or contact us.